Leather and Suede
Leather looks good and you look good wearing it. To keep it looking like new, CLEAN IT EVERY YEAR. Our leather specialist knows how to best clean and restore your leather garment. Always clean all matching items at the same time. If staining occurs, bring it to us as soon as possible. DO NOT try to remove spots yourself. When you bring your leather, suede, sheepskin or fur to us, you can be confident that if there are concerns about a particular garment, we will take time to advise you before proceeding. We have many years of experience with leathers and can offer additional services to restore you garment like stain removal, alterations, repairs and re-dying. Re-dying a leather jacket can make it look like new. Dyes are matched and natural oils are added to give the garment a beautiful look and feel.
Selecting a Leather Garment
- Buy from a reputable retailer
- Look for matching of textures and colors throughout the skins; however, suede will never be completely uniform
- Read and save accompanying care label information
To Keep Your Leather Looking its best between Cleaning
- Wear a scarf to protect the collar area from body oils and perspiration. Heavy staining and ground-in dirt is not a friend of leather and may show colour loss in the area once the soil is removed.
- Allow leather to air-dry away from heat if it gets wet.
- When you’re not wearing it, keep it in a cool ventilated area. Leather/suede and fur can dry-out or mildew if stored in a hot or humid environment. Leather likes the same comfortable environment that you like.
- Never store leather/suede in a plastic bag
Leather, suede and sheepskin are natural animal hides-not a piece of fabric so even with the latest and Best Care technologies, some change of appearance can result. When you purchased your leather garment, it probably had a hangtag that emphasized the nature of the variances in colours and textures as characteristics that make each garment unique. The nature of leathers makes imperfection in the basic skins inevitable. Hides from different areas of different animals are used. A good manufacturer tries to match hides, texture, weight and colour with uniformity, but variations may be accentuated after cleaning.
Remember, bring your leather, suede, fur or sheepskin to an expert like Best Care who can use experience to give it the care it deserves!